Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Vacation fiber treasures

When we were in Taos, NM I could walk to three different yarn or fiber shops. Almost directly across the street from our hotel was LaLana Wools. I found the most beautiful cria alpaca. For non-spinners, cria is the name for a juvenile alpaca, and the first clip, like that of sheep, is the finest and most beautiful. This has only a slight beige cast and is extremely fine and silky. I can't wait to begin spinning it. I bought 4oz which will make a shawl!

I also feel victim to a small skein of randomly dyed 2ply cashmere. This is to die for! It will make a lacy scarf. Yum!

And, finally, we visited the Mora Weaving Studio in Mora, NM. This is part of Tapetes de Lana Weaving Center. They have recently purchased a spinning mill (Taos Spinning Mill?) and are in the process of moving it to their site. This is a non-profit organization that teaches rural residents how to weave. The main area was filled with looms with rugs in various stages of finishing. They also had woven items and yarn for sale. Need I say more? The picture below is alpaca, about 4.5oz worth!

My list of shops to visit was lots longer than this, but I had to be fair to my long-suffering husband. Besides, I had to get it home on the plane!

2 comments:

Lacefreak said...

You are Sooooo fortunate! I have knitting/spinning envy. I love lace wt. yarns and that is the weight I prefer to spin. Please post a picture of the finished yarn once you get to the Alpaca!

jeannie said...

Wow, I didn't know the mill had been sold! I live in Albuquerque but went to jr. high and HS in Las Vegas, NM. The cria is lovely. And isn't Taos fun? You should've seen Santa Fe in the mid to late '60's. It was like Taos was 10 years ago. Now both have dust, and traffic and no longer sleepy little towns.... Still fun tho'. : )
Jeannie
jeannieshandsatwork.blogspot.com