Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What I'll be knitting in Alaska

This scarf is actually more green than it shows. But ...

The pattern is from Annie Maloney's Cable Knitting Handbook, pattern #67. The pattern has been doubled and then altered by adding cable twist at the joining point and changing twist directions. It was frogged three times before I got it where I wanted it to be. Needle size can make such a big difference. This yarn (an unknown rayon/wool from my stash) is supposed to be knitted on #5 needles. I had to go to #2! Then I decided I wanted something special for the scarf ends, and I carried the twists down. But the large cables are six stitches, too heavy for the ends. Therefore they were reduced to 2/1 x 2 cables. Does that make sense? (I did two 2/1 cables side by side to utilize the six stitches. That's better!)

What I really like about this pattern is the single wandering stitch. I think it makes it so much more interesting!

Only time will tell how much I'll actually knit in Alaska, but this won't take up much space, and, if I get twitchy I don't have to find the nearest yarn store. But maybe I will anyway!

1 comment:

Terri said...

It's great that you got the kinks out of the pattern before leaving on your trip.