Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What's on my needles (Alaska scarf and Ocracoke sweater)

When we left for Alaska I posted a picture of the scarf I hoped to work on while we were gone. Well, as I kind of expected I didn't have much time, or inclination, to knit. However, a little more has been finished.



It's taking a long time to knit as the yarn is a fine, slippery wool/rayon blend. It's being knit on size 2 needles.

When I finished the Alaska sweater I immediately started planning the next one. This proved to be more of a challenge than I had originally thought it would be. I wanted to use two more of Annie Maloney's wonderful cable patterns, but they didn't want to work. I finally ended up altering one of them slightly. Then came the challenge of other cable that would work with them. When it finally was deemed to be "the one" I had sampled five times!

This sweater will be called Ocracoke as that's my goal in finishing time. We'll be on the Outer Banks of North Caroline on the island of Ocracoke the second week of March, 2008. This sweater will come in very handy at that time of the year!



Once again I'm using my favorite machine washable WoolEase by Lion Brand. The yarn color has been discontinued (Butterscotch) but I know I have enough as I'm using the exact same dimensions as I did for Alaska. It's on size 5 needles.

I'm trying something new with this sweater. I used temporary cast-on for the saddles so that I could have live stitches when I picked up for the neck. I did the same thing across the back. You can see the white yarn. I absolutely hate to pick up stitches, and I'm hoping that this will make it easier. I fully realize that I'll have to decrease the number of stitches, but I think it might make a neater line. Time will tell!



Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Helen B said...

How are you going to stabilize the back neck area to avoid it stretching when you wear the sweater? I learned this lesson the painful way with my FLAK and had to go back and crochet across the back neck at the base of the collar to stop the stretching. This is why Janet suggests a firm caston at this point, like cable or knitted caston. Beautiful design you've come up with, I can't wait to see the finished sweater.