Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tour de Fleece, and the challenge is joined!

Yesterday I thought I'd drag out a drop spindle and use that as my tool.  Got out a bag of cashmere, weighed out two one-ounce piles, and figured I'd do a nice fine 2-ply.  Started to spin:

P1060196copy_thumb%5B2%5D-2008-07-8-15-34.jpg

That pile you see there is one ounce!  And that's the lightest spindle I would use (please note the use of the word "would".  It's significant!).  Back to the drawing board.  Today I decided to use one of my wheels, the "Wind Mountain Spinner". 

P1060440copy_thumb%5B2%5D-2008-07-8-15-34.jpg

This one has a wonderful 26:1 whorl that will let me do sewing thread.  And that's exactly what I want.  The challenge here is maintaining that very fine (40 wpi) yarn for the entire two ounces.  Do you see my drop spindle and the pile of cashmere by the treadle?  I just might maintain my sanity.

So, I sat down to spin, and it feels wonderful, except for the fact that it's in the mid-90s, and my hands sweat on the cashmere.  Ugh!  Well, I'll think cool thoughts, or maybe put a fan on me - no, that'll blow the fiber - so cool thoughts, and see how much I can get done today.

Oh, above I mentioned "would" use with "drop spindle".  That's 'cause I probably have nearly 20, and some of them are for pretty, and some of them are for students, and some of them are just 'cause!

More tomorrow.

No comments: